· To develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly.
· To reason and problem solve by applying mathematics to a variety of increasingly complex problems.
· To build upon children’s knowledge and understanding from EYFS to year 6 in the fundamentals of mathematics
· To develop resilience that enables all children to reason and problem solve with increased confidence.
· To create continuity and progression in the teaching of mathematics
· Daily maths lessons including fluency, reasoning and problem solving delivered through a mastery approach
· Adapted lessons to ensure there is appropriate challenge for all learners
· Concrete manipulatives and pictorial representations used to support conceptual understanding and to make links across topics.
· Children are able to independently apply their knowledge to a range of increasingly complex problems.
· Children can reason with increased confidence and accuracy.
· Children are equipped for the next stage of their mathematical journey
Here at Benington C of E Primary School we are dedicated to providing children with a rich and meaningful mathematics education. Teachers ensure that pupils are motivated and engaged and whenever possible link maths learning to a real life context. Children of all abilities are challenged and encouraged to be independent learners as well as to be inquisitive and to think ‘outside the box’.
In a recent pupil meeting, children have been quoted as saying ‘we love maths’, ‘our maths is fun when we have all the resources out’ and ‘I love choosing a hard challenge because it makes me really think’.