Return to Community

School History

Benington C of E Primary School was founded in 1873. It was opened as an all-age village school under the Diocese of St. Albans and our village church of St. Peter. Since the Education Act of 1948, the school has been a controlled school, meaning that it remains legally owned by the Trustees of the Church of England Foundation. However, the Local Education Authority, with the Governors, has full administrative and financial responsibility. The Church is represented on the Governing body, so links are still maintained between the school, the Church and the local community. 

The original flint and brick building still forms the attractive frontage to the school. A multi-purpose hall and modern classrooms have been added over the years. The purchase of additional land has given us a spacious playing field.

The School is very proud of its history – a small museum area displays historical artifacts from school life:

The School always celebrates special landmarks in the history of the school, as well as important National Events

100th Anniversary

In 1973, the school commemorated its 100th anniversary with a day of celebrations. The headteacher at the time, Mr Trotman, organised an open day with an exhibition of photographs and memorabelia of the last 100 years in what is now known as Sycamore Room. Two pupils Jeremy Barton and Janet Davey were chosen to wear Victorian clothing for the day, made by Anne Thompson, a resident of Benington for many years.

Silver Jubilee memorial display

Silver Jubilee 1977

In 1977, the school celebrated the Silver Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II.

This display of pottery tiles was made and is now on display in the school grounds.

120th Anniversary

In 1993, to celebrate the 120th anniversary, the school went back to Victorian times for 2 days. No one was allowed in school unless in Victorian dress and everyone took part in role play, including the staff. The younger children used slates and chalk whilst the older children were given pens with a metal nibs, which they dipped into ink wells. Some children made clay models of the school, and others stitched samplers. A thanksgiving service was held in St Peter’s Church.

127th anniversary patchwork quilt

127th Anniversary

On the 6th January 2000, the school celebrated its 127th year.

This beautiful patchwork quilt was made by pupils and is now on display in the school library. The embroidery around the outside of the quilt lists important events in the history of the school since 1873.


150th Anniversary 

The school was founded in 1873 as an all-age village school under the Diocese of St Albans, so our celebrations for our 150th anniversary started on 6th January 2023, the day the first pupils were welcomed. Our children and staff were asked to attend in Victorian clothes ready for a day of Victorian based learning. Parents were also invited to dress in Victorian clothes and attend a special church service in St Peter’s. We took photos of the whole school in Victorian clothing to celebrate the day.

Fast forward to June 2023 when we held our 150th anniversary party 

Staff, pupils, parents and alumni celebrated with tours, music from a choir, and a barbecue on Saturday, 10th June. During the party, a time capsule was unveiled as well as a banner made by the village craft club.  The time capsule contains various items from school life in 2023. Pupil & staff have written or drawn something to be included in the time capsule along with other items relating to school life. The capsule has been sealed and placed on display in the school to be opened after 50 years for the 200th anniversary in 2073, when many of our current pupils will be around to enjoy the opening. Our visitors also got their first view of our beautiful stained glass window situated high up on our hall window, where it catches the morning light.

Those in attendance included Liz Green, the High Sheriff of Hertfordshire; Ken Crofton, Benington’s county councillor; Martin Butcher, chairman of East Herts Council; and former headteachers, Barbara Foster and Marilyn Greenhalgh.

Old photos, memorabilia and memories written by pupils and staff old and new were on display throughout the afternoon and an anniversary book put together by some of our parents was also on sale, showing photos old and new illustrating the changes that have taken place over the last 150 years

We were even featured in ‘The Comet’ which published an article about the event.